This quantity will allow a little extra to keep in refrigerator to serve with chocolate or vanilla ice cream. Sherry Raisins improve with age. Use the sweetest, most muscatel flavoured Spanish sherry you can find.
200g (1 + 1/3 cup) raisins
water for covering raisins
150g (3/4 cup) sugar
60ml (4 tbsp) water
90ml (6 tbsp) Spanish sweet and fruity sherry
1 tsp lemon zest
· Place raisins in a small saucepan and cover with cold water.
· Over a medium heat, bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes or until raisins are plump and juicy.
· Strain and rinse under cold water. Discard liquid.
· In a clean saucepan combine sugar and water and, over a low heat, stir until dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until a syrupy consistency is reached.
· Remove from heat and cool. Add sherry, lemon zest and raisins and stir to combine.
· Store in an airtight container in the fridge.