185g (1 1/2 cup) frozen raspberries (defrosted)
7g (2 1/4 level tsp) gelatine
2 egg yolks
85g (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp) castor sugar
100ml (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp) milk
250ml (1 cup) cream (lightly whipped)
This recipe forms part of the Layered Champagne Jelly and Raspberry Bavarois with Fairy Floss recipe.
- Place raspberries into a food processor fitted with a plastic blade and puree.
- Pour through a fine sieve to remove seeds. You should end up with 130ml of puree.
- Pour 50ml of the raspberry puree into a small bowl and add gelatine,stir to combine and leave at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to gel.
- Place egg yolks and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk and beat till mixture is pale, thick and creamy.
- Pour milk in to a small pot and bring to the boil. Pour slowly onto yolk mixture, whisking all the time.
- Transfer mixture back into pot you have boiled milk in. Over a low heat cook custard, stirring continuously until it slightly thickens to coat the back of a wooden spoon (do not boil). Immediately pour custard from the pot to a bowl.
- Add gelatine to custard and stir till gelatine is dissolved.
- Add remaining puree and pour mixture through a fine sieve. Set aside.
- When custard has thickened slightly but not set, gently fold in whipped cream. An ideal result will be achieved when both the custard and whipped cream are of the same consistency when they are folded together.