PUMPKIN AND FETA SALAD WITH RASPBERRY VINAIGRETTE
For this salad I like to use the grey skinned Crown pumpkin. Buy pumpkins now to store in a cool dry place for winter.
400g Crown pumpkin (cut into batons 1cm thick and 5cm in length)
30g (3 tbsp) butter
3 rindless bacon rashers (cut into thick strips)
18 French beans (topped and tailed)
110g feta (preferably a creamy style, sliced into 5cm triangles) Raspberry Vinaigrette
2 large handfuls rocket or small spinach leaves
1 + 1/2 tsp pink peppercorns in brine (drained, rinsed and chopped)
- Place pumpkin into steamer basket over a pot of simmering water and cook till just tender. Cooking time will vary from pumpkin to pumpkin, according to ripeness. when it was picked and how long it has been kept for. Remove from steamer and cool.
- Place butter in a heavy-based frypan, over a medium heat, and melt. Add bacon, tossing occasionally, till bacon has browned but is not crisp. Add pumpkin to pan and gently toss to heat through being careful not to break the pumpkin. Transfer bacon and pumpkin to a large bowl.
- Place beans into a pot of boiling water set over a high heat. Cook the beans for 2 to 3 minutes or till they have become bright green. Remove from pot and refresh in icy cold water.
- Add beans, feta and Raspberry Vinaigrette to pumpkin and bacon. Toss very gently to just combine.
- Pile rocket into centre of a large platter and gently place salad onto rocket.
- Scatter pink peppercorns over the top and serve immediately while pumpkin is still warm, or refrigerate to serve later.