Orange Cakes with Whittaker's Dark Cacao Olive Oil Mousse
110g (3/4 cup) icing sugar
35g (1/4 cup) flour
60g (1/2 cup) ground almonds
80ml (1/3 cup) egg whites (not whisked)
2 tsp finely grated orange zest
1 + 1/2 tsp freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tiny drops Hansells natural orange essence
80ml (1/4 cup + 1+ 1/2 tbsp) clarified butter (melted but cool to warm)
· Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease with baking spray 24 baby muffin moulds.
· Into a bowl sift icing sugar and flour with ground almonds.
· Add egg whites, zest, juice and essence and combine.
· Pour clarified butter into mixture and gently fold till butter is entirely combined.
· Spoon mixture (approximately 15g per mould) into prepared moulds.
· Place into preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or till cakes spring back and are very lightly golden.
· Cool and remove from moulds.
· Using a half-teaspoon measuring spoon scoop out top centre of each cake leaving a 1cm rim around the outside. Reserve leftover crumbs for another use.
· Place chocolate mousse into a piping bag fitted with a small star-shaped nozzle. Pipe a swirl (8g) to go 2cm above the rim of the cake.
· Garnish with a sliver of Candied Orange Peel.