(1 x 20cm square yields 100 x 2cm squares)
Serve a piece with coffee or line up several squares on individual plates to serve at dessert. Edible rice paper for confectionary is available at specialty food or kitchen shops and at shops which specialise in Dutch products.
2-3 edible rice paper sheets
1 tsp light olive oil or grapeseed oil
150g blanched almonds (lightly roasted)
75g mixed peel
75g dried cranberries (craisins)
450g (1 + 1/3 cups) clover honey
2 egg whites (at room temperature)
- Preheat oven to 150ºC.
- Line a 20cm square cake tin with rice paper sheets (you may need to cut them to fit snugly, or slightly overlap). Lightly oil sides of tin without getting oil on rice paper sheets.
- Place almonds, mixed peel and cranberries on small low-sided baking tray and cover with aluminium foil.
- Place in oven for 7-10 minutes or till warm. Turn off oven and leave fruit and nuts in oven so they remain warm.
- Pour honey into a saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir till honey begins to boil. Remove from heat.
- Place egg whites into a bowl and whisk till stiff peaks form. Pour into honey and stir together.
- Return pot to a low heat. (I like to place a simmer mat under the saucepan at this stage.) Stir continuously for 10-15 minutes or till mixture reaches a toffee-like consistency. You can test this by dropping a half-teaspoon of nougat into a jug of cold water and leaving for two minutes. The nougat should roll easily between your fingers into a ball and be quite firm.
- Add warm nuts and fruits, in two or three lots, to nougat and stir quickly to combine.
- Spoon nougat into prepared tin and push into the sides. Cover top with a second piece of rice paper and press gently to smooth the top.
- Leave to sit at room temperature till completely cold. Best stored as one piece in an airtight container at room temperature. Nougat will keep for 2-3 weeks uncut. Cut nougat into portions on the day you are serving it.
- Remove nougat from tin by running a wet knife along the sides of the tin. Shake out onto a board and cut into 2cm squares.