SERENA'S LEMON CURD CAKE
170g butter (at room temperature)
300g (1½ cups) sugar
4 large eggs (lightly beaten)
3 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
210g (1½ cups) flour
1½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt 600 ml
Serena's Lemon Curd
- Grease and double-line with baking paper base and sides of 23cm round, spring-form cake tin.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- In bowl of electric mixer, fitted with a whisk, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, a little at a time, beating well between each addition. Remove bowl from mixer.
- Add lemon zest, flour, baking powder and salt and combine with a spoon till flour is just incorporated.
- Spread half the cake batter into prepared tin. Cover with half the Lemon Curd (avoid going right to edge of cake).
- Randomly spoon on second half of the cake batter. Push to spread a little but do not fill in all gaps. Top with spoonfuls of Lemon Curd. Gently shake cake to level cake batter and curd.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour-1 hour 10 minutes, or till centre of cake, when pressed with a finger, bounces back.
- Let cake cool completely in tin. Run knife around rim of cake tin, and release and remove spring-form sides and base. Slide cake onto serving plate and dust with icing sugar.
Serena's Lemon Curd
The slight tartness of this curd compliments the Lemon Curd Cake perfectly.
100g (1/2 cup) sugar pinch salt
1 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
125ml (1/2 cup) lemon juice
5 large egg yolks
2 whole eggs
70g unsalted butter (diced, at room temperature)
- Into a medium-size non-reactive pot, add sugar, salt, lemon zest and juice. Whisk till smooth
- Add egg yolks and whole eggs and whisk to combine
- Place pot over a medium-low heat and using a wooden spoon stir constantly till mixture begins to bubble around the edges and starts to thicken
- Add butter, in small amounts, stirring well after each addition
- Over a very low heat simmer gently, while stirring constantly, for five minutes till mixture thickens well
- Transfer to a low-sided container and cover with plastic wrap sitting directly onto curd. Refrigerate till cold
- Once cold, curd can be used for Lemon Curd Cake
- Curd will store covered in refrigerator for 2-3 weeks