LEMON CURD CAKE
170g butter (at room temperature)
300g (1½ cups) sugar
4 large eggs (lightly beaten)
3 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
210g (1½ cups) flour
1½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt 600 ml
Serena's Lemon Curd
- Grease and double-line with baking paper base and sides of 23cm round, spring-form cake tin.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- In bowl of electric mixer, fitted with a whisk, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, a little at a time, beating well between each addition. Remove bowl from mixer.
- Add lemon zest, flour, baking powder and salt and combine with a spoon till flour is just incorporated.
- Spread half the cake batter into prepared tin. Cover with half the Lemon Curd (avoid going right to edge of cake).
- Randomly spoon on second half of the cake batter. Push to spread a little but do not fill in all gaps. Top with spoonfuls of Lemon Curd. Gently shake cake to level cake batter and curd.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour-1 hour 10 minutes, or till centre of cake, when pressed with a finger, bounces back.
- Let cake cool completely in tin. Run knife around rim of cake tin, and release and remove spring-form sides and base. Slide cake onto serving plate and dust with icing sugar.
You can use store-bought curd, or Ruths delicious and foolproof recipe.