HALOUMI CHORIZO SKEWERS
(makes 16 skewers)
If you have vegetarian guests make some skewers without the chorizo. Serve as snacks before the main event, as a main course, or as part of a main course.
1 focaccia loaf (we buy a loaf from the supermarket which measures 20cm x 30cm)
60ml (4 tbsp) olive all
120g chorizo sausage (cut into .5cm thick slices)
16 semi-dried tomatoes
300g-350g halloumi cheese (cut into 2.5cm squares x 75 thick)
16 metal skewers
flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut Foccacia loaf in half horizontally and trim edges to make a neat rectangle.
- Brush cut centre of bread with oil and put loaf back together again.
- Cut Foccacia loaf into 2.5cm squares and remove top squares of bread.
- Thread a foccacia square, a piece of chorizo, a piece of halloumi, a semi-dried tomato, a second slice of chorizo, and finish with one of the remaining foccacia squares.
- Brush outside edges lightly with oil. Continue till 16 skewers are created.
- Preheat flat plate of barbecue to medium. Once hot, lightly grease barbecue with a little oil.
- Place Halloumi and Chorizo Skewers onto barbecue. Toast each side for 2-3 minutes or till bread is golden brown and all components are hot.
- Serve warm seasoned with salt and pepper.