GRILLED ASPARAGUS ROLLS WITH DANIEL'S CHEESE SAUCE
(serves 4 as an entrèe or brunch dish)
For brunch David and Gary serve this dish with poached eggs and that is extremely good.
30g (3 tbsp) butter (softened)
8 slices white sandwich bread
32 asparagus spears (fibrous ends removed)
flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Daniels Cheddar Sauce (heated)
4-8 poached eggs (optional)
shaved Parmesan (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Butter bread slices on both sides and remove crusts.
- Place a pot of water onto a high heat and bring to the boil. To blanch asparagus place asparagus in pot and bring water back to the boil. Remove asparagus and refresh in iced water then dry with paper towels.
- Place 4 asparagus spears, 2 facing each way, diagonally on bread. Season with salt and pepper and roll up.
- Place a heavy based frypan over moderate heat and add asparagus rolls in batches placing with the seam side down. Turn rolls till bread is browned on all sides.
- Place into an ovenproof baking tray and place into oven. Warm for 5-6 minutes till asparagus is warm and bread is crisp.
- Place 2 rolls on each plate, overlapping, and spoon sauce over the rolls.
- If you wish top with poached eggs and/or Parmesan.