Golden Kiwifruit Crème Brûlée
This is a crème brûlée formed and served in a scooped-out golden kiwifruit. It takes on the tropical flavour and was first prepared for me by Chef Stephen Davy from Tauranga and I loved it.
8 golden kiwifruit
300ml (1 cup + 3 tbsp + 1 tsp) cream
1/2 vanilla pod (cut in half lengthwise)
3 egg yolks
15g (1 + 1/2 tbsp) sugar
extra sugar for bruleeing
• Slice top off each kiwifruit like you would the top off a boiled egg and, using a teaspoon, scoop out the centre of each to form a case, but leave 5mm-1cm wall of flesh in the case. Reserve scooped out fruit for another use such as fruit salad or smoothies. Trim the bottom of the kiwifruit so it sits flat on a plate.
• In a heavy-bottomed saucepan set over a medium heat pour cream, add vanilla and bring to the boil. Take off heat and let sit for at least 60 seconds.
• Place egg yolks in a bowl and whisk till just combined. Add sugar and whisk till pale and frothy. Add hot cream to yolks, mixing well but not whisking. Strain mixture back into a clean saucepan and return to a low heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon till mixture thickens enough to cover the back of the wooden spoon. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
• Pour custard into a jug and fill hollowed-out kiwifruit cases with custard right up to the top. Chill for 4 hours or overnight.
• Just before serving sprinkle custard surface with a little sugar and, using a chef’s torch, brûlée sugar till it is golden brown and caramelized.
• If you wish accompany with Kiwifruit, Passionfruit and Mint Salad.
Kiwifruit, Passionfruit and Mint Salad
(serves 4)A refreshing and simple dessert. Green or gold kiwifruit, or a mixture of both can be used.
280g (4) kiwifruit (peeled and cut into 5mm dice)
30ml (2 tbsp) Passionfruit Syrup
28g (2 tbsp) ginger in syrup (you find this jarred product in specialty section of supermarket) (cut into 2-3mm dice) 10 mint leaves (finely sliced)
In a bowl place kiwifruit, Passionfruit Syrup, ginger and mint.
Stir together and serve in small glasses.