This easy to prepare and delightful to eat Christmas Day brunch or lunch dish is perfect for the party of two.
1 (400-600g) small live crayfish
15g (1 tbsp) butter
1 clove garlic (peeled and chopped)
1 small shallot (peeled and chopped)
4 free range eggs
60ml (4 tbsp) cream
flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
60g (4 tbsp) unsalted butter
2 lemon wedges
- Drown crayfish in cold water and then plunge into a pot of boiling, lightly salted water.
- Cook for 8 minutes (I allow 12 minutes per kg weight) or till crayfish has turned a deep red.
- When crayfish is cool enough to handle, remove tail, cut tail shell and take out flesh in one piece. Remove intestinal tract and reserve body for another use. Split shelled crayfish tail lengthwise to make two servings from one tail.
- Place a frypan onto medium heat and add first measure of butter. Add crayfish tail to butter with garlic and shallots. Cook, shaking pan from time to time, till garlic and shallot have softened, but not browned, and crayfish tail is warm through and coated with butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place eggs, cream and seasoning to taste in a bowl and lightly whisk.
- Place another small frypan, preferably a teflon non-stick frypan, onto heat and in it melt second measure of butter.
- Making one omelette at a time, pour half of the egg mixture into frypan and cook slowly till base is golden brown, but centre of omelette is still moist.
- Place crayfish tail on one side of omelette and flip the other side over it.
- Make second omelette with remainder of ingredients.
- Serve omelettes urgently, drizzled with butter juices from crayfish frypan and a wedge of lemon.