(serves 6-8) (yields 650ml)
Warning: this is extremely rich and unctuous. Only a small portion required.
500ml (2 cups) cream
75g 72% chocolate (finely chopped)
5 egg yolks
110g (1/2 cup) sugar
- Preheat oven to 150ºC.
- Pour cream into a saucepan and, over a low heat, bring to just before simmering point, and then remove from heat.
- Add chocolate to cream mixture and lightly whisk till chocolate has dissolved and mixture is combined.
- Place egg yolks in a medium bowl with sugar and stir with a wooden spoon till combined.
- Gradually and slowly stir warm chocolate mixture into yolk mixture. Aim for a "no froth" mixture. If froth forms, then scoop it off before you do the next step. (For a very smooth crème pass mixture through a fine sieve lined with muslin to remove any residue of egg white.)
- Pour custard into 5-8 soufflè or ramekin dishes. Place into a roasting tray. Pour enough water into roasting tray so that it comes half-way up sides of dishes.
- Place in oven and for larger dishes bake 25-30 minutes, or for smaller dishes bake for 20-25, till custards are just set in the centre but still a little wobbly.
- Remove tray from oven and remove dishes from tray. Cool.
- Serve with fresh raspberries.