CARAMELISED WALNUT AND APPLE TART FILLING
(enough to fill one 23cm tart)
Picture shows this recipe with Caramelised Walnut and Apple Tart.
160ml (2/3 cup less 1 tsp) apple syrup (tart or sweet)
110g (1/2 cup plus 2 tsp) brown sugar
50g (5 tbsp) unsalted butter
10g (1 ½ tbsp) cornflour
15ml (1 tbsp) water
20ml (1 tbsp plus 1 tsp) brandy
5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
- Into a small pot place apple syrup, brown sugar and butter.
- Place over a medium heat and stir till sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove pot from heat.
- Into a small bowl place cornflour and water and mix to a paste.
- Add brandy and vanilla and stir well. Slowly pour into apple syrup mixture, whisking at the same time.
- Break eggs into a medium-size bowl and whisk to combine.
- Slowly pour eggs into apple syrup mixture, whisking continuously till eggs and apple syrup mixture are combined.
- Set mixture aside till ready to use.