This salad with Iceberg lettuce, crispy bacon, avocado, poached eggs and Parmesan is my absolute favourite summer brunch dish. I began loving it after eating a version of it at Bambina, a café in Ponsonby, Auckland. If you prefer dress the salad with simple olive oil and balsamic dressing rather than Caesar dressing.
300g (12) rashers rindless middle bacon (grilled till crispy)
1 small-medium Iceberg lettuce (outer leaves discarded, torn into chunky bite-sized pieces)
4 handfuls rocket leaves
4 tomatoes (quartered) or 8 cherry tomatoes (halved)
1/2 recipe Caesar Dressing (CC)
8 large eggs (poached)
1 avocado (stone removed, peeled and cut into quarters)
80g Parmesan cheese (shaved)
1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Cut or break 8 rashers grilled bacon into chunky pieces. Reserve remaining 4 rashers whole.
- Into a large bowl place lettuce, rocket, tomatoes and chopped bacon. Toss together.
- Divide lettuce mixture between 4 pasta-style bowls. Drizzle each serve with 1 tbsp Caesar Dressing.
- Top with two poached eggs.
- Cut each quarter avocado into two or three and place beside eggs. Drizzle each serve with another tbsp Caesar Dressing.
- Divide shaved Parmesan among serves, scattering on top of eggs. Top each serving with a bacon rasher and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.