BACON AND EGG PIE
(serves 6 -12)
This pie recipe is made in a cake tin. Please note that there is an oven temperature change mid cooking. Store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
250g – 300g puff pastry
200g sliced middle bacon (rindless) (each rasher cut into 3)
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley leaves
grind of black pepper
1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
1 egg yolk/ 1 tbsp water for glaze
- Take a deep sided 17cm diameter cake tin, or similar. On a lightly floured bench roll out puff pastry and, using the tin base as a guide, cut out the base of the pie. Place this into base of tin.
- Cut a second 17cm round to use as the top of the pie. Place on a lightly floured tray and to rest the pastry refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Roll out a length of pastry which will form the sides of the pie. In our 17cm tin this length of pastry is 52cm long and 4.5cm wide. So the pie has a depth of 4.5 cm. Join the pastry if you do not have the length in one piece.
- To rest the pastry place lined tin into refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Set oven to 210°C.
- Line pastry base with half of the bacon, allowing for the bacon pieces to sit side by side rather than overlapping.
- Break eggs into a cup, one by one, and one by one pour onto bacon, taking care that the yolks remain whole.
- Sprinkle onion, parsley and pepper and salt onto eggs.
- Lay remainder of bacon onto eggs.
- Make a hole in the centre of pastry lid. We use a piping nozzle to do this. Brush a very small border around inside edge of lid with cold water.
- Place lid on pie. Gently fork around lid edge to seal pie and, if you wish, use any leftover pastry to make a decorative twist to go around pie, or even decorative leaves to sit on top.
- Combine egg/water glaze and brush lid with glaze.
- Place pie into oven and after 20 minutes reduce heat to 180°C. Cook for a further 25 minutes or till pie is light golden brown and base is cooked through.
- Cool and serve or place in refrigerator to serve within 2 days. When pie is is cold tip out of tin and invert onto serving plate.