Amaretto Torte with Sweet Cherry Compote
Amaretto, an almond flavoured liqueur, is known as the liqueur of love. Ladyfinger biscuits may be found in speciality section of a supermarket or at a speciality food shop. These dry sponge-like biscuits are rusk-shaped.
150ml (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp + 2 tsp) Amaretto
50g (3 tbsp + 1 tsp) sugar
40ml (2 tbsp + 2 tsp) water
500g ( 2 cups ) mascarpone
15ml (1 tbsp) Amaretto
1/2 tsp almond extract or essence
2 egg whites
50g (1/4 cup less 1 tsp) castor sugar
24 ladyfinger biscuits (trimmed to fit loaf tin)
· Brush sides and base of 30cm x 11cm loaf (alternatively a 24cm x 14cm ) tin with cold water and line with plastic wrap.
· To make Amaretto syrup: Pour first measure Amaretto into a small pot and add sugar and water. Place over a low heat and stir till sugar is dissolved. Increase heat and simmer for 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
· Into a bowl place mascarpone, second measure Amaretto and almond extract and whisk till creamy and smooth.
· In a second bowl place egg whites and whisk till just fluffy. Add castor sugar and whisk till shiny and stiff. Fold one-third of the beaten egg whites into mascarpone and mix till entirely combined and mascarpone is light. Add remaining egg white mixture and fold in till just combined.
· Dip one side of a ladyfinger biscuit lengthwise into Amaretto syrup and place dipped side upwards into base of prepared loaf tin. Place biscuits parallel to the short side of the tin. Repeat with more biscuits to cover entire base of tin.
· Pour half of the mascarpone filling on top of biscuits and spread to cover evenly. Repeat with a second layer of dipped ladyfinger biscuits and then mascarpone filling.
· Top with the final layer of dipped ladyfinger biscuits.
· Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
To serve: Unwrap torte and unmould onto a serving
platter by tipping upside down and removing plastic wrap. Pour some of the Sweet Cherry Compote over
torte and serve. Accompany with remainder of compote.
Photo Credit: Murray Lloyd