VANILLA SPONGE CAKE FOR ZUCCOTTO
(makes 1 23cm round and 1 42cm x 29cm rectangle)
You may not have baking tins the same size as those specified in the recipe. When choosing tins remember that the round sponge forms the base of the Zuccotto, so needs to have a similar diameter to the pudding bowl you wish to place the Zuccotto in. Cakes can be baked ahead and frozen.
6 eggs (separated)
210g (1 cup + 1 tbsp) sugar
1 + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
105g (3/4 cup) flour
100g (3/4 cup) cornflour
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Grease with baking spray or melted butter a 23cm round tin and a 42cm x 29cm bun tray. Then line both with baking paper.
- Into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment place egg yolks, 150g (3/4 cup) of the sugar and vanilla extract and whisk on high till thick and pale in colour.
- Transfer yolk mixture to a clean bowl. Wash and dry mixer bowl and whisk.
- Place egg whites and salt in mixer bowl and whisk till soft peaks form. With mixer running, slowly add remaining 60g (6 tbsp) of sugar. Continue whisking till thick and glossy.
- Fold egg white mixture into yolk mixture.
- Sieve flour and cornflour together and gradually fold into egg mixture.
- Pour 1/3 into the round cake tin and remainder into baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or till lightly golden. When cooked a skewer when inserted will come out clean. Transfer cakes to wire racks to cool.