VANILLA SPONGE CAKE
(makes 2 x 17 cm sponge rounds)
Your supermarket may stock cake flour and as it is lighter in gluten than all-purpose flour it is worth looking out for when sponge making.
3 eggs pinch salt
125g (1/2 cup + 2 1/2 tbsp) sugar (use vanilla sugar if possible)*
50g (7 tbsp) flour (preferably cake flour)
25g (3 + 1/2 tbsp) corn flour
1 tsp baking powder
- Grease with baking spray or melted butter 2 x 17 cm round cake tins. Line base of cake tins with baking paper cut into 17 cm rounds.
- Preheat oven to 190ºC.
- Place eggs and salt in bowl of an electric mixer or mixing bowl, and whisk one minute. While continuing to whisk very slowly from a small jug pour in sugar and whisk till mixture is thick and pale yellow.
- Sift flour, corn flour and baking powder together, and using a spoon shaped spatula very gently fold dry ingredients into egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake tins.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or till sponge springs back when lightly touched.
- Leave in tray for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.