225g (1 + 1/2 cups) icing sugar (sifted)
70g (1/2 cup) flour (sifted)
130g (1 + 1/4 cups + 1 tbsp) ground almonds
155ml (1/2 cup + 3 tbsp) egg whites
2 tsp lime zest
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
175g (peeled & diced) fresh pineapple
155ml (1/2 cup + 3 tbsp) clarified butter (warm but not hot)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- In a large bowl sift together icing sugar and flour. Add ground almonds and stir to combine.
- Pour in egg whites (runny not whisked), lime zest and vanilla extract and stir well.
- Add pineapple and slowly pour in clarified butter. Combine by gently folding, using a lifting action, till butter is entirely combined.
- Grease, with melted butter or baking spray, 12 friand moulds and evenly spoon mixture into prepared moulds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or till friands are light golden brown and offer a slight resistance to the touch.
- When cool enough to handle, remove from moulds to begin to cool. Ideally serve friands warm. Spoon 2 teaspoons Passionfruit Syrup over each friand while they are warm.