TEQUILA LIME GRANITA
(Yields 600ml/10 shooter glasses)
A tingling start, interlude or end to Christmas dinner.
100g (1/2 cup) sugar
250ml (1 cup) water
62.5ml (1/4 cup) liquid glucose*
187.5ml (3/4 cup) white tequila
125ml (1/2 cup) freshly squeezed lime juice
62.5ml (1/4 cup) triple sec
- Make a syrup by combining sugar and water in a pot and bringing to the boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add glucose, stir until combined. Cool.
- In a small saucepan, bring tequila to a boil and reduce by half. (the flavour will be intensified and the alcohol will be burnt off). Cool.
- Combine tequila with syrup, lime juice and triple sec.
- Pour mixture into a shallow container and freeze. As it freezes (it will take 6-8 hrs or overnight) 3 or 4 times during the freezing break up ice crystals with a fork.
- Fork into glasses to serve.
* Liquid glucose adds sweetness to the granita, without adding extra sugar which would hinder the freezing. It is available at most chemists.