SWISS APPLE TART
This is a very simple but tasty dessert to throw together. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature. The pastry is quite cakey in texture.
150g unsalted butter
150g (1/2 cup + 4 + 1/2 tbsp) castor sugar
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
300g (2 cups + 3 tbsp) flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
Swiss Apple Filling
icing sugar (for garnish)
- Lightly grease with baking spray or melted butter a 24cm flan tin, preferably with a removable base.
- Place butter and sugar into a pot set over medium heat and cook till butter is melted. Cool.
- Add eggs and stir in.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into butter mixture and stir to combine. It is a very soft dough.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Divide dough into seven equal portions. Take four of these portions and pat them into base of tin to completely cover base. Take three of these portions and starting at the bottom of the sides, pat dough around the sides of the tin, joining the base and giving a height of around 3.5cm.
- Drain any excess liquid from Swiss Apple Filling and spoon apple filling into prepared base.
- Break up seventh portion of dough into small balls and pat out into discs. Place randomly on top of filling.
- Place tart into oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or till lightly golden brown.
- Serve warm sprinkled with icing sugar.