Strawberry and Rhubarb Shortcake
This is a very quick, almost throw-together, pudding and is meant to be eaten freshly baked, but is still very edible baked, cooled and warmed later that day or the day following.
100g strawberries (hulled and quartered)
100g rhubarb (sliced in half lengthwise, then cut into 5mm dice)
40g (3 tbsp + 1 tsp) brown sugar
80g (8 tbsp) white sugar
225g (1+ 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp) flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
75g unsalted butter (chilled and diced)
finely grated zest of 1 orange
190m (3/4 cup) cream, plus extra for brushing dough
whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and grease paper with baking spray or melted butter.
- To make filling: Into a small bowl place strawberries, rhubarb, 24g (2 tablespoons) brown sugar, 20g (2 tablespoons) white sugar, and 14g (2 tablespoons) flour.
- To make dough: Place remaining flour, salt and baking powder into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse briefly to combine.
- Add butter and process till mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Alternatively you could do this stage by hand.
- Add zest and remaining white sugar, retaining 1 tablespoon for topping, and, using pulse button on food processor, mix till it is just combined.
- With food processor running, working quickly, pour cream through feed tube and process till dough just begins to form a ball.
- Tip dough onto a lightly-floured bench and gently mould into a ball. Divide ball into two even halves.
- On a lightly-floured work surface roll out one half to a 17cm round. This becomes the base. Slide the base onto the prepared tray. Top base with filling, leaving a 1cm edge around the outside. Brush this edge with cream.
- Roll remaining dough out to a 19cm round and place on top of filling. Gently press base and top edges together to prevent fruit juices from seeping out while cooking.
- To make topping: Into a small bowl place remaining brown sugar and white sugar.
- Brush top with cream and sprinkle with topping.
- Place into preheated oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or till dough is cooked and top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve warm. If you wish serve with whipped cream.