SPONGE CAKE FOR LAMINGTONS
(makes 6 large lamingtons)
If you prefer purchase sheets of sponge cake but homemade is always better. Your supermarket may stock cake flour and, as it is lighter in gluten than all-purpose flour, it is worth looking out for when sponge making.
This recipe forms a part of the Boysenberry Lamingtons recipe.
125g (1/2 cup) castor sugar
50g (3 tbsp + 1 tsp) flour (preferably cake flour)
25g (3 + 1/2 tbsp) cornflour
1 tsp baking powder
- Grease with baking spray or melted butter a 32cm x 23cm sponge roll tin and line base with baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Place eggs and salt in bowl of an electric mixer or mixing bowl, and whisk for 1 minute. While continuing to whisk slowly pour in sugar and whisk till mixture is creamy and pale yellow.
- Sift flour, cornflour and baking powder together, and fold gently into egg mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or till sponge springs back when lightly touched.
- Leave in tray for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.