SPANISH TOMATO BREAD
(makes 12 serves)
This is eaten all over Spain and when it is served correctly as warm smoky flavoured toast, with fragrant Spanish olive oil and ripe tomatoes grown outdoors, you are reminded that the simple things in life are the best.
3 cloves garlic 1/2 tsp Maldon sea salt 30ml (2 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil 1/2 - 1 sourdough loaf (cut into 1cm thick slices)
275g (3) tomatoes (very ripe and halved) Maldon sea salt freshly ground black pepper extra virgin olive oil
- Crush garlic with first measure of salt. Do this in mortar with a pestle, or by placing garlic and salt on a chopping board and using a chefs knife laid flat to the board. Leave in mortar or place in a bowl and slowly add oil, mixing to combine. Pour into a small serving bowl
- Preheat chargrill or barbecue to hot.
- Place bread slices on chargrill or barbecue and toast both sides till golden brown.
- Present tomato halves to guests with toast so they can rub both sides of toast slices with the tomatoes, squeezing halves slightly as they rub; leaving seeds and juice on the toast.
- Drizzle or spread both sides of toast with garlic oil mixture.
- Sprinkle top side with salt and pepper. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately.
- Encourage guests to work quickly so the toast is still warm when they eat it.