Spanish Toast with Sherry Raisins
(makes 6 serves)
Enjoy this for an absolutely decadent, but very little work, celebration brunch, mid morning or afternoon snack. To get organised prepare the raisins ahead and have brioche loaf on hand in the freezer. This recipe does really rely on good quality Spanish Sherry.
195ml (2/3 cup + 2 tbsp) good quality Spanish dry sherry
4 tsp castor sugar
4 tsp cinnamon
½ - 1 brioche loaf (cut into 6 x 1.5cm thick slices)
whipped cream (optional)
· Pour sherry into a low sided wide bowl, large enough to fit a brioche slice. Break eggs into a similar bowl and whisk eggs till fluffy. Combine castor sugar and cinnamon in a similar bowl.
· Pour enough oil into a shallow, heavy-based frypan to form a depth of 5mm and heat to medium-hot.
· One at a time dip brioche slice quickly into sherry but not so it soaks through, then immediately into egg mixture.
· Immediately place into frypan and fry for 1 minute on each side, or until golden brown. Remove from oil and transfer onto paper towels to drain.
· Dip warm Spanish Toast into sugar and cinnamon mixture and serve warm with Sherry Raisins and if you wish whipped cream.