SKEWERED LAMB BALLS WITH BOCCONCINI CENTRES
The better the quality of the lamb mince the tastier this dish will be. Ask your butcher to mince lamb rump or lamb leg.
480g lamb mince
80g (13-16) sundried tomatoes (finely chopped)
3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
3/4 preserved lemon (rind only, washed and finely chopped)
15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
3 tbsp finely chopped Italian parsley leaves
1 + 1/2 tsp finely chopped savory leaves (or thyme leaves)
1 + 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
olive oil for shallow frying
75g (3) bocconcini balls
250g (24) cherry tomatoes
24 basil leaves
- In a bowl place mince, sundried tomatoes, garlic, preserved lemon rind, oil, parsley, savory and salt and pepper and mix together.
- Divide mixture into 24 even portions. Cut bocconcini into 24 equal pieces.
- Take one portion of lamb mixture, flatten it out and place one piece of bocconcini in the centre. Wrap lamb around cheese evenly and roll into an elongated ball. Refrigerate for up to one day or cook to serve.
- To cook: Into a heavy-based frypan set over a medium heat pour enough oil so that it comes 1cm up the sides of the pan. When oil is hot add balls to oil and cook on one side till brown. Turn and cook on other side.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Cover with a clean tea towel to keep warm.
- Into same frypan set over a low heat place cherry tomatoes and cook till just warmed through.
- Skewer a lamb ball, followed by a basil leaf and a tomato. Repeat this finishing with a third tomato so that each skewer contains three of each item.
- Serve hot or warm with salad.