SILVERBEET AND CHEESE PIE
A very tasty and quick to put together supper or lunch dish. If you wish brush filo pastry with olive oil as opposed to butter but the butter does add flavour. From Maryann Nouwens.
melted butter for greasing tin
20 large silverbeet leaves
flaky sea salt
500g cottage cheese
120g (1 cup) grated tasty cheese
180g (1 medium) onion (sliced)
1 tsp flaky sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
10 sheets filo pastry
20g (2 tbsp) butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease with melted butter a roasting tin; we used a rectangular tin measuring 25cm x 22cm.
- Finely chop silverbeet leaves with their stalks and place into a saucepan. Add 1/2 cup water to saucepan, cover with a lid, and set over a medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or till silverbeet has wilted. Drain into a sieve, then press down on silverbeet to remove all liquid. Cool.
- Place cottage cheese, grated cheese, onion, eggs and seasonings in a bowl. Add silverbeet and gently fold mixture together.
- Lay out filo pastry sheets onto a board or cool dry bench. Brush half of each sheet of pastry lightly with melted butter and then fold the sheet in half. Continue till all pastry is brushed and folded.
- Arrange five folded sheets into base of 25cm roasting tin. Spread filling over base then top with remaining folded filo sheets.
- Brush top with melted butter.
- Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes till lightly golden brown.
- Serve almost immediately. If you wish refrigerate for up to two days till ready to reheat.