Sage Chicken with Prosciutto with Vegetables
(serves 8 - 12 depending on who wants seconds)
Every part of this dish created by the late Peter Daldin from Otaki is meltingly sweet and tender. Peter liked to serve it with a salad of wild rocket dressed with a gutsy extra virgin olive oil.
15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
100g (12-15 slices) prosciutto
750g (3 medium) potatoes
750g (3 medium) carrots
750g (4 small) golden kumara
Flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2.2kg (12) chicken thigh (bone in, skin on)
1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh sage
350g (10-12) rindless bacon rashers
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Brush a large roasting dish with oil.
- Lay prosciutto along the bottom of the dish.
- Peel and roughly chop vegetables and lay out over the prosciutto. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to suit your taste.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables and sprinkle with salt, pepper and sage.
- Lay bacon over chicken and then cover the roasting dish with aluminium foil.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to 150°C and leave to cook for a further 3 to 3.5 hours or till chicken and vegetables are meltingly tender.
- If you would like to crisp up the bacon and chicken before you serve place the dish under a hot grill for 5 minutes