When we make this soufflé we use Appleton Estate 21 year old dark rum. An aged rum is richer and fuller in flavour and lends itself well to desserts.
65ml (1/4 cup) cold water
8g (1 tbsp) gelatine powder
4 eggs (separated)
100g (1/2 cup) sugar
250ml (1 cup) evaporated milk
1 tbsp cornflour
30ml (2 tbsp) water
1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
65ml (1/4 cup) dark rum
pinch of table salt
- Line sides of 8 soufflé dishes with baking paper to come 5cm above the rim of each dish, wrapping paper round the outside of the dish and tying it with string or Sellotape. Spray inside walls of the protruding baking paper with baking spray, or grease with oil or melted butter. If you use oil or butter to grease paper it will be easier to have this completed before you tie the baking paper to the dishes.
- Place water in a small bowl and sprinkle gelatine over water. Set aside for 10 minutes or till gelatine has absorbed the water.
- Place egg yolks and half of the sugar into a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk and whisk till pale yellow and thick.
- Into a small bowl place cornflour and water and mix to a paste.
- Place evaporated milk, cornflour mixture and vanilla bean paste into a medium-size pot and whisk till warmed and evaporated milk has thickened.
- Pour slowly into egg yolk mixture whisking at the same time.
- Add gelatine and stir till gelatine has dissolved.
- Return this mixture to the pot, place over a medium-low heat and constantly stir till mixture is smooth and thickened enough to heavily coat the back of a spoon. Do not allow the mixture to boil as it will curdle.
- Remove pot from heat and pour through a fine sieve into a large cold bowl to remove any strands of egg. Add rum and cool to room temperature only. Do not allow it to set.
- Into a clean bowl of electric mixer fitted with a whisk place egg whites and salt. Whisk till egg whites are frothy. Add second half of sugar and whisk till whites turn to stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites gently into custard till just incorporated.
- Pour soufflé mix into prepared dishes and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or till set firm.
- To serve: Remove paper from around side of soufflé dish and place soufflé dish on dessert plate.
- Serve with Chocolate Rum Muscatel Ice Cream if you wish