ROASTED VEGETABLE SALAD WITH OLIVES AND HERBS
(serves 10-12 generously)
Make this ahead of a barbecue, the day or morning before hand, and serve with barbecued steak, lamb or pork. It is a hearty salad full of flavour and if there is any left use it to fill rolls.
400g (2 medium) red peppers
400g (2 medium) yellow peppers
62.5ml (1/4 cup) olive oil (for lightly coating vegetables)
200g (1) red onion (peeled and sliced into 5mm rings)
400g (3-4 small) eggplants (sliced into 5mm rounds)
100g (20) garlic cloves (peeled)
400g (2) zucchini (thickly cut on an angle)
200g beans (cut in 3 lengthwise)
45ml (3 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp roughly chopped chives
2 tbsp roughly chopped Italian parsley
flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
24 black olives
12 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 250*C.
- Deseed red and yellow peppers and cut into 1cm strips.
- Spray or brush all vegetables with oil and arrange in groups on low-sided baking trays. Arrange so the vegetables are lying flat and not touching each other. Grouping will allow the vegetables which are cooked first to be removed from oven first.
- Place in vegetables in oven and roast red and yellow peppers, red onion and eggplant for 15 minutes or till soft and golden brown at the edges. Set aside to cool.
- Roast garlic, zucchini and beans for 10-15 minutes till garlic is pale golden soft and zucchini and beans have slightly softened but are still firm to the bite. Set aside to cool.
- Place vegetables into a large bowl and add vinegar, chives and parsley and toss together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Scatter olives and tomatoes onto salad and serve, or store in refrigerator overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.