ROAST CHICKEN WITH APRICOT STUFFING
1.3-1.5kg (1 size 14) chicken
Apricot and Pinenut Stuffing
30mls (2 tbsp) olive oil + extra for oiling roasting pan
4-6 rosemary sprigs
250ml (1 cup) white wine
Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Remove any giblets and the neck from the chicken. Wash inside and out and pat dry using paper towels.
- Push the stuffing into the cavity of the chicken and secure opening with toothpicks or bamboo skewers. (If there is any stuffing left over make it into small walnut-sized balls, wrap in bacon and add to roasting pan during the last 30 minutes of the cooking time.)
- Fold wings back on themselves to keep them from flopping out when cooking.
- Heat a large heavy based fry pan and add oil. Place chicken, breast side down in fry pan and sear for 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Turn chicken onto its side and continue this process until each side is golden brown.
- Lightly oil a roasting pan and add rosemary to the base. Place chicken on top of rosemary.
- Place roasting pan in oven and roast 1 + 1/4 to 1 + 1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear when pierced with a fork.
- Remove chicken from pan and rest chicken for 10 minutes, away from heat covered with a heavy tea towel. Discard rosemary.
- Place roasting pan onto stove top on a medium heat and pour wine into pan. Using a wooden spoon scrape up any baked on bits from the base of the roasting pan and reduce liquid to about 1/3. Taste for seasoning. If you wish strain the jus.
- Carve chicken with stuffing and serve with jus.