RHUBARB AND STRAWBERRY ANGEL FOOLS
(makes 8 – 10 small serves)
We make this dessert, inspired by Chef Allyson Gofton, in espresso glasses, shot glasses, small wine or sherry glasses. The dessert is very pretty so deserves to be set in glass. Grenadine, a pomegranate flavoured cordial, is often used in cocktails because of its rosy red colour. You will find fairy floss, an Iranian confection, at speciality food stores.
50g (1/4 cup) sugar
65ml (1/4 cup) water
250g rhubarb (washed & chopped)
125g strawberries (fresh or frozen)
125ml (1/2 cup) cream
15ml (1 tbsp) grenadine syrup or undiluted
125g (1/2 cup) cream cheese (at room temperature)
85ml (1/3 cup) cream
5 tsp grenadine syrup or undiluted grenadine cordial
fairy floss (optional)
- Place sugar and water in a saucepan over a low heat and stir till sugar has dissolved.
- Add rhubarb and cook gently for 5-8 minutes or till tender.
- Add strawberries and stir into rhubarb. Remove from heat and allow to stand till cool
- Place in a blender, or food processor fitted with a metal blade, and blend to a very smooth puree.
- Whip cream and half of the first measure of grenadine syrup together to form soft peaks. Pour rhubarb and strawberry puree into whipped cream and gently combine till a swirling effect is achieved.
- In a separate bowl place cream cheese and beat till smooth. Add rhubarb and strawberry swirled cream and gently whisk to combine.
- Place Poached Rhubarb into the base of each serving glass and spoon in rhubarb fool to three-quarters fill glasses.
- Refrigerate for 2-4 hours before serving or overnight.
- Drizzle 1/4 teaspoon of grenadine over each serving. Whip remaining grenadine with second measure of cream till firm peaks form and top each serving with a heaped teaspoon of grenadine cream. If you wish top with fairy floss immediately before serving.