Pumpkin and Kumara Fritters
(makes 5 serves/15 fritters)
A very tasty winter lunch or dinner dish.
190g (2 cups) grated pumpkin
200g (2 cups) grated kumara
2 tbsp grated onion
1 roasted red pepper (skinned & roughly chopped)
30g (3 tbsp + 1 tsp) semidried tomatoes (roughly chopped)
1/2 tsp finely chopped deseeded red chilli
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
4 dashes Tabasco (or to taste)
2 eggs (beaten)
14g (2 tbsp) flour (sifted)
1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
60ml (4 tbsp) olive oil
1 avocado (sliced)
· Into a large bowl place pumpkin, kumara, onion, red pepper, semidried tomatoes, chilli, garlic, coriander and Tabasco. Stir well to combine.
· In a separate bowl place eggs and flour and whisk together. Pour egg mixture into vegetable mix and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
· Heat half the oil in a heavy-based fry pan to medium-hot. Add dessertspoons of mixture to the pan and spread out to make round fritters. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side. Continue to cook in batches till all the mix is finished.
· Transfer from pan to a tray lined with paper towels.
· Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
· Serve hot, three fritters per person, with avocado and Ruth Pretty Tomato Chilli Jam.