PRAWN AND CELERY SALAD WITH GINGER DRESSING
(serves 2 - 4)
This is the one of the favourite dishes of a Tokyo friend Gillian Kinjo who cooks it often for her kids and guests serving it with rice and several other dishes. I adore it as I am such a big fan of the under rated vegetable and salad green which is celery.
12 prawns, raw (shells and veins removed)
2 large celery stalks and leaves
15ml (1 tbsp) rice wine vinegar
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp flaky sea salt
1 tsp finely grated ginger
- Bring a medium-size pot of water to the boil.
- Add prawns and cook 2 minutes, or till cooked through and tender and prawns turn from opaque to white. Drain prawns and quickly cool. Cut in half lengthwise.
- Remove leaves from celery stalks and chop finely.
- Cut celery stalks into 7cm lengths and cut each length into very fine length-wise strips.
- Three-quarters fill a medium-size bowl with iced water. Add celery strips to water and sit for 5-10 minutes or til they are crisp.
- Drain celery and discard water. Lay celery on paper towels to remove as much water as possible.
- In a large bowl combine prawns, celery leaves, celery, vinegar, sugar, salt and ginger and combine. Taste for seasoning.
- Transfer to a medium platter and serve as an accompaniment to steamed rice.