POTATO TOP MEAT PIES
(makes 8 x 8cm pies - lunch size)
This is the perfect meal for lounge side rugby. Enjoy with a glass of Ata Rangi Celebre.
400g puff pastry
20g (2 tbsp) butter
100g (1 small) onion (finely diced)
1 clove garlic (finely chopped)
80g (½ medium) carrot (peeled and finely diced)
80g (10-15) button mushrooms (destalked and diced)
30ml (2 tbsp) oil
500g ribeye steak (diced)
50g (1/3 cup less 1 tsp) flour
200ml (¾ cup plus 1 tbsp) beef stock
75ml (¾ cup plus 1tbsp) Mac's Gold beer
30ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
few drops Tabasco sauce
Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 recipe Mashed Potato
90g freshly grated Parmesan
- Grease or spray 8 lunch size pie dishes.
- Roll pastry to 2mm-3mm thickness (or alternatively buy pre rolled pastry) and using a 17cm round cutter (or a side plate) press out 8 rounds.
- Gently press pastry into pie dishes making sure pastry touches base and sides of the dishes. Rest in refrigerator 20-30 minutes while making filling.
- Melt butter in a heavy based fry pan, add onion and over a medium heat saute onion until golden in colour but not browned.
- Add garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add carrot and mushrooms and cook a further 3-4 minutes until carrots are tender and mushrooms are soft. Tip into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same frypan add oil and when hot and in two batches sear the beef.
- Set beef aside.
- Melt 2nd measure of butter in a medium sized saucepan. Add flour and cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes or until butter / flour is a nutty brown colour.
- Slowly add stock and beer, constantly stirring, until roux is smooth and thickened. Add Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and salt and pepper. Stir to combine and simmer over a low heat for 2- 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add beef and vegetables to sauce. Set aside to cool while you prepare the potato topping.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Spoon cooled filling into the rested pie bases.
- Top with Mashed Potato and sprinkle each pie with Parmesan.
- Place pies in a pre-heated oven and cook 30 - 35 minutes until pastry is golden brown and cheese is just colouring.