PLUM CRUMBLE CUPCAKES
(makes 8-12 cupcakes)
If there is crumble mixture remaining freeze to use later. I like to make these with meaty Black Doris plums.
120g (12 tbsp) butter (softened)
12g (1 tbsp) brown sugar
105g (1/2 cup) castor sugar
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
140g (1 cup) flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
65ml (1/4 cup) buttermilk
4-6 small-medium plums (cut in halves, stones removed)
44g (4 tbsp) muscovado sugar
220g (2 cups) rolled oats
35g (1/4 cup) wholemeal flour
20g (2 tbsp) Demerara sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
55g (1/2 cup) chopped macadamia nuts (or a nut of your choice)
40g (4 tbsp) butter (grated)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Grease 8 large cupcake cases or 12 standard muffin tins with baking spray or melted butter.
- Place butter, brown sugar and castor sugar into a bowl and whisk till pale.
- Gradually pour in eggs, whisking constantly, and add vanilla and zest.
- Sieve flour and baking soda and gently fold into butter mixture along with the buttermilk.
- Divide batter between cupcake cases or muffin tins and place a plum half, cut side up, into the middle of each tin, pressing the fruit gently into the batter. Sprinkle muscovado sugar over fruit.
- To Make Crumble Topping: Into a medium-size bowl place rolled oats, wholemeal flour, sugar, cinnamon and macadamia nuts. Stir to combine.
- Add butter and rub into dry ingredients till the mixture resembles a moist crumble.
- Sprinkle crumble on top of sugared fruit. Place into oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or till cakes are well risen and golden brown and the fruit is tender.
- Place on a cooling rack, or if in muffin tins cool for 5 – 8 minutes and then remove from tins before placing on a cooling rack.
- Accompany with vanilla-flavoured whipped cream and for ease serve with dessert forks.