PARCELS OF STEAMED FISH WITH JAPANESE FLAVOURS
If you wish substitute sugar snap peas with asparagus, broccolini or green beans. Steaming fish allows the flavour of the fish to really shine through. Serve with steamed rice.
520g (4 x 130g) firm fish such as groper or blue cod
1/4 tsp ground flaky sea salt
12-24 sugar snap peas
4 spring onions (sliced thinly on the diagonal)
1/4 tsp flaky sea salt
60ml (4 tbsp) sake finely grated zest of
1/2 lime 30ml (2 tbsp) sake
5ml (1 tsp) Kikkoman soy sauce
1 lime (thinly sliced)
- Sprinkle fish with salt on both sides, cover and rest in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- To make parcels: cut baking paper to make 8 rectangles 24cm x 20cm. Lay papers 2 thick on a clean work surface, with the shortest side facing you. Fold up 1/3 of paper and turn back 1cm from edge to make a flap. Fold in 1cm on the opposite edge to make a flap. Fold the top edge down to fold over the first flap. Interlock the two flaps to form a long rectangle and press down to make folds. Turn paper over and, at each end, fold the top corners down diagonally (as if making a dart), then fold the bottom corners up to meet the opposite folded edge, forming a triangular pointed end. Repeat process to make four parcels.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil and add sugar snap peas. As soon as sugar snap peas turn bright green remove from water and refresh in cold water.
- Open paper parcels and scatter sugar snap peas and spring onions inside. Sprinkle sugar snap peas and spring onions with second measure salt and place fish on top.
- Pour 1 tablespoon sake over each fish portion and sprinkle with lime zest.
- Refold the parcels.
- Fill base of a steamer with hot water and bring to the boil. Top with the steamer basket and cover base with one layer of baking paper.
- Place fish parcels on top of baking paper and steam with lid on for 10-12 minutes till fish is cooked. The flesh will change from translucent to white.
- Transfer parcels to individual plates.
- In a small pot, over a medium heat, place the sake and bring to the boil to burn off the alcohol. Add soy sauce, stir, and as each guest opens parcel pour a little over each portion.
- Accompany with lime slices.