ORIECCHIETTE WITH BROCCOLI
If you would like to make this a vegetarian dish please do by substituting celery for Pancetta and rinsed capers for anchovies. Any left over pasta is great to eat cold. Orecchiette is shell shaped pasta.
3 small or 2 large heads broccoli (cut into florets but some stalk attached)
flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil
500g Orecchiette pasta
2-3 cloves peeled garlic (sliced)
150g Pancetta (cut into matchsticks)
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
6 anchovies (rinsed and chopped)
24 large green olives (rinsed, stones removed and olives chopped)
juice of 2 lemons
100g Parmesan cheese in a wedge
- Fill a large pot three quarters full with water. Bring to the boil, add 1/2 tsp salt, add broccoli and cook till fork tender.
- Scoop broccoli out of the pot and place into a bowl. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil.
- Bring broccoli water back to the boil and add Orecchiette pasta. Follow timings on packet to cook pasta till al dente. Drain pasta retaining a little of the cooking water to use when the pasta is tossed with other ingredients.
- While pasta is cooking, place a little oil into a fry pan set over a medium heat. Add garlic, Panetta, chilli flakes and anchovies and cook till garlic has softened and begun to lightly colour.
- Remove garlic and other ingredients from the pan. Place broccoli in pan to just warm through.
- Place hot pasta into a large bowl and add garlic with the other ingredients from the pan, broccoli and olives. Drizzle with lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste. With two big spoons gently toss pasta together and if you feel it needs moistening, moisten with as a little or as much of the retained pasta cooking water as you wish.
- Serve offering the wedge of Parmesan cheese with a grater for diners to apply cheese as they wish.