ONE POTTLE TWO POTTLE THREE POTTLE CAKE
(1 x 20cm round cake)
Peter Dal Din from Otaki gave me this recipe for this very moist and flavoursome cake which he makes often to keep in the tins. His grandchildren love it.
120ml (1 pottle) natural yoghurt
150ml (1 pottle) soya oil (or canola)
280g (2 pottles) sugar
240g (3 pottles) flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs (lightly beaten) seeds from
2 vanilla beans
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp salt
30ml (2 tbsp) grappa, marsala or brandy
160g (1 cup) sultanas
55g (1/3 cup) mixed peel juice of 2 lemons
25g (2 tbsp) sugar
- Preheat oven to 175ºC. Grease with baking spray, olive oil or melted butter a 20cm round cake tin.
- Pour yoghurt into a large bowl. Using the yoghurt pottle as a measure, measure oil, sugar and flour into a bowl. Add baking powder. Mix ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
- Add eggs, vanilla seeds, lemon zest, salt, and grappa, marsala or brandy whisking till combined and free of lumps.
- Add sultanas and peel and stir well to combine.
- Pour into prepared cake tin, place in oven and bake for 60-80 minutes or till cake surface springs back when you prod it.
- While cake is cooking combine lemon juice and sugar and stir over a low heat till sugar is dissolved.
- Remove cake from oven brush the lemon syrup over the top of the cake and leave to cool