You will find Balsamico syrup at speciality food stores. It is thick, sweet and unctuous, and a handy addition to your pantry.
540g eggplant (stalks removed and sliced lengthwise into 1cm slices) 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
22g (2 tbsp) pine nuts (lightly toasted)
3 tbsp sliced mint leaves
30ml (2 tbsp) balsamico syrup
flaky sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Score each eggplant slice on both sides with the prongs of a sharp fork.
- Brush each side with olive oil.
- If possible sear on ridged side of a cast iron cooking plate to achieve char lines.
- Spread out slices on a low-sided roasting tray and place in preheated oven. Bake for 20 minutes or till tender.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Place eggplant, pine nuts, mint and balsamico syrup in a bowl, toss to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate till required and if possible serve at room temperature.