Meringues with Passionfruit Honey
(makes 40 small meringues)INGREDIENTS
4 (1/2 cup) egg whites (at room temperature)
280g (1 + 1/3 cups) castor sugar
· Preheat oven to 100°C. Line one or two trays with baking paper.
· Place egg whites into bowl of electric mixer fitted with a whisk and whisk for 5-15 minutes or until stiff.
· With mixer still whisking, slowly add castor sugar and whisk until sugar has dissolved.
· Dollop, or with a fluted nozzle pipe 5cm rounds onto baking trays.
· Place in oven and bake for 1 ¼ hours or until meringues are crisp and dry throughout. Turn off oven and leave meringues in oven for two hours.
· Cool completely and store in an airtight container in a cool place. They keep well for 2-3 weeks.
· Serve with accompanying bowl of Passionfruit Honey and whipped cream.
(Makes 2¼ cups (562.5ml) I freeze passionfruit pulp in Autumn to have on hand for desserts. It is one of my favourite flavours. To make passionfruit honey in the microwave is far less troublesome than making it in a bain marie over a stove top.
1 egg yolk 3 eggs 220g (1 cup) sugar50g butter (cut into very small dice) 190mL (¾ cup) passionfruit juice*1
· Place egg yolk, eggs and sugar in a microwave-proof bowl and whisk until combined. · Add butter and passionfruit juice and whisk briefly. Place bowl in microwave and cook on high for 3-5 minutes, whisking after every minute, until the mixture is smooth, creamy and holds the mark of a whisk. (The whisking after every minute is crucial in this recipe). · Cool for a few minutes then pour into sterilised jars and seal. Store in the refrigerator.