LITTLE CORN FRITTERS WITH LEMON CREAM CHEESE AND SMOKED SALMON
Corn fritters are always popular and this version is extra tasty because of the spices.
150g corn kernels (canned and drained, frozen and thawed, or fresh)
70g (½ cup) flour
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp ground cumin
125ml (½ cup milk)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 tbsp chopped chives plus extra to garnish
Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste olive oil for cooking
Lemon Cream Cheese
120g - 150g sliced smoked salmon (cut into 5mm thick strips)
- Place half of corn kernels into a food processor fitted with a metal blade and process till kernels resemble creamed corn.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, coriander and cumin. Make a well in the centre.
- Add creamed corn, whole corn kernels, milk, eggs, chives and seasoning all at once. Stir till mixture is combined and free from flour lumps. Cover and refrigerate till required.
- When you are ready to cook, heat a little oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Once oil is hot, drop tablespoons of mixture into pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes or till fritters are light golden, then turn and cook for a further minute to colour remaining side. Remove fritters from pan, drain on paper towels and cover with a tea towel to keep fritters warm whilst cooking remaining batter.
- To Serve: Place a generous amount of Lemon Cream Cheese onto each fritter. Top with a strip or two of smoked salmon and a piece of chive.