LEMON MACADAMIA SHORTBREAD COOKIES
(makes 6 dozen)
This recipe makes a large quantity of cookie dough. Bake some and freeze some. If cookies are to be baked from frozen cookie dough balls, let dough come to room temperature, flatten with a glass dipped in sugar, sprinkle with additional sugar and bake. Alternatively freeze as a ball of dough, thaw and ball.
500g (2 cups) butter (diced and at room temperature)
400g (2 cups) sugar
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
15ml (1 tbsp) vanilla extract or essence
560g (4 cups) flour
1 + 1/2 tsp salt
280g (2 cups) chopped macadamias
additional sugar for sprinkling on cookies
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line baking trays with baking paper.
- Place butter, sugar and lemon zest in a bowl and mix till just combined, mixing with a wooden spoon or using an electric mixer with paddle attachment. Do NOT beat till mixture is pale and creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix till combined.
- Add flour and salt and, using a wooden spoon, mix till just blended. If the mixture is over-mixed the cookies will become tough.
- Add macadamias and combine.
- Shape into 4cm balls and place onto prepared trays about 5cm apart. Flatten balls with the base of a tumbler dipped in sugar. Sprinkle with additional sugar if necessary.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until edges are very light golden.
- Remove cookies from tray to cool. Store in an airtight container.