Nonna's Lemon Curd Cannoli
150g (1 cup + 1+ 1/2 tbsp) flour
2 tsp Dutched cocoa powder
1 tbsp castor sugar
20g unsalted butter (diced)
60ml (4 tbsp) white wine
1 tbsp Marsala
1 egg (lightly beaten)
oil for greasing cannoli forms
oil for deep frying
3 tbsp toasted and roughly chopped hazelnuts
· Place flour, cocoa and sugar into a bowl and combine.
· Add butter and rub in to make a fine breadcrumb-like mix.
· Add wine and Marsala and mix till ingredients loosely clump together.
· Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead till smooth.
· Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
· Roll pastry to a thickness of 2mm. Cut into 8cm squares.
· To form Cannoli: Lightly oil cannoli forms (Fratelli uses bamboo tubes 10cm long with diameter 2cm; we used kitchen tools with metal handles} and wrap pastry squares around them. Brush one edge with egg wash. Gently press overlapping pastry to join.
· Pour oil into a deep fryer or deep pot and heat to 180°C or till when you place a tiny ball of pastry into oil it rises to the surface and browns. Drop pastry on cannoli forms into oil and fry for 1 minute or till pastry bubbles slightly and darkens. Remove with tongs and drain on paper towels. As they cool remove cannoli from forms.
· To serve: Fill each cannoli with Lemon Custard Filling and sprinkle both ends with hazelnuts. Serve within 2 hours of filling.
Lemon Custard Filling
If you wish flavour with melted chocolate or cooled espresso.
500ml (2 cups) milk
1/2 vanilla pod (cut in half lengthwise)
2 egg yolks
16g (2 tbsp) cornflour
100g (1/2 cup) sugar
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
· Place milk and vanilla into a saucepan set over a medium heat. Heat to just below boiling.
· Place egg yolks, cornflour and sugar into a bowl and whisk till well combined.
· Pour hot milk into egg yolk mixture and whisk together.
· Pour back into saucepan and place over a medium heat, stirring constantly for 5-8 minutes or till thick and glossy and able to hold its shape.
· Remove from heat, pass through a sieve into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap sitting directly on top and leave to cool. Store in refrigerator.