LEMON AND GINGER CORDIAL
(makes 1.750 litres)
This is a twist on the classic combination of lemon and ginger which makes for a very refreshing drink.
finely grated zest of 6 lemons
300g (1 + 1/2 cups) sugar
1.250 ml (5 cups) water
85g (1/2 cup) crystallised ginger
560ml (2+ 1/4 cups) lemon juice
soda water (to dilute)
mint sprigs and lemon grass for garnish
- Place zest, sugar, water and ginger in a non-reactive pot and stir on a low heat till sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Allow mixture to cool with a lid on, then strain liquid through a fine sieve.
- Add lemon juice and stir. Store in a covered container or bottle in the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve taste for strength and dilute accordingly with soda water.
* To quickly make zest, peel lemons leaving as much white on lemons as possible. Retain lemons for juicing. Roughly chop lemon peel and put in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add sugar and process till lemon peel is fine.