LEEK, BACON AND ROSEMARY SOUP
It is very easy to overdo the amount of rosemary in a dish. The small amount in this recipe adds an interesting overtone to the soup.
1.5kg (4 medium) leeks
20g (2 tbsp) butter
80g (3) rashers streaky bacon (chopped)
300g (2) potatoes (peeled and cubed) (Agria would be perfect)
1/2 tsp rosemary leaves (finely chopped)
1 l (4 cups) chicken stock
10ml (2 tsp) sherry vinegar
freshly ground black pepper and flaky sea salt
- Trim green ends off leeks which may be nearly half of the leek. Save green part for stock-making or discard. Thinly slice white part of leeks.
- Place butter into a medium-sized, heavy-based saucepan set over medium heat and melt.
- Add bacon to saucepan and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, till softened.
- Add leeks and cook, stirring from time to time, for 5-8 minutes or till leeks have softened and are coated in butter.
- Add potatoes and rosemary and stir to coat with butter.
- Pour in stock. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes or till potato is tender.
- Add vinegar and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or cool, refrigerate and reheat to serve.