HOT FUDGE SAUCE
(makes 12 x 30 ml serves)
This is the irresistible chocolate sauce which as soon as it hits the icy ice cream sets into a chewy goo. You may find glucose at a supermarket or a health food shop. An alternative is corn syrup.
50g (1/4 cup) sugar
12g (2 tbsp) cocoa (if possible use Dutched cocoa found at speciality food shops)
65ml (1/4 cup) water
125ml (1/2 cup) cream
125 ml (1/2 cup) liquid glucose
1/8 tsp white vinegar
55g dark chocolate (buttons or tablet roughly chopped)
30g (3 tbsp) butter (diced)
10ml (2 tsp) vanilla
- Into a medium-size pot place sugar, cocoa and salt. Mix together and then add water and whisk together till well blended.
- Place pot over a medium-high heat and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and add cream, glucose, vinegar and half the chocolate.
- Return pot to a medium-high heat and whisk frequently till sauce boils. Continue boiling till bubbles become small and sauce is thick and syrupy.
- Remove from heat and add remainder of chocolate followed by butter and vanilla. Stir to combine. Serve immediately or store covered in refrigerator for up to 4 days. Gently reheat in microwave or in a pot over a low heat.