HERBED MUSSELS WITH SOUSED RED ONIONS
(serves 3 to 4)
New Zealand's most affordable delicacy. If you wish prepare this dish in a pot or wok on your barbecue in front of your guests.
800g-1kg live greenshell mussels
500ml (2 cups) dry white wine
1 red onion (peeled & sliced)
2 garlic cloves (peeled & finely chopped)
1/4 tsp flaky sea salt
2 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
2 tbsp chopped chervil or dill
45g (3 tbsp) butter (diced)
freshly ground black pepper
- Wash mussels under cold running water. Remove beards (strings that hang from the mussels' shells) and discard.
- In a heavy-based wide saucepan or non-reactive wok set over a medium heat place wine, red onion, garlic and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes to slightly cook red onion and garlic.
- Add mussels, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or till all mussels are open. Discard those which don't open.
- Add parsley and chervil or dill, and butter and pepper to taste.
- Serve in soup bowls with lots of juice.