(makes 1 x 20cm cheesecake/serves 10-12)
Make one or two days ahead and store in refrigerator.
250g (1 packet) gingernuts
120g unsalted butter (melted)
520g (2-4) grapefruit (peeled and all pith removed)
1 grapefruit (additional to above)
8g (1 tbsp) gelatine powder
2 eggs (separate one egg)
150g (3/4 cup) sugar
1/8 tsp salt
340g Philadelphia cream cheese( diced and at room temperature)
1 tsp finely grated grapefruit zest
15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
280ml (1 cup + 2 tbsp) cream
extra whipped cream for serving
· Into bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade place one third of gingernuts and process to fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl. Continue with remaining gingernuts.
· Add butter to gingernuts and mix until fully combined.
· Transfer crumbs to a 20cm round, loose-bottomed, springform cake tin and press firmly and evenly into base and two-thirds of the way up the sides of the tin.
· Place in refrigerator for one hour or until firm.
· Segment the first measure of grapefruit over a bowl removing all white membrane. Place segments onto a paper towel lined tray. Squeeze juice from membrane into bowl.
· Squeeze juice from additional grapefruit and add to existing juice. Measure out half-cup juice.
· From the half-cup juice take 2 tablespoons and place into a bowl. Sprinkle gelatine onto juice and leave for 10 minutes or until it forms a sponge.
· Into a small pot break the one whole egg and add egg yolk, sugar, salt and 1 tablespoon of the measured grapefruit juice.
· Place over a low heat and stir until a thick, smooth custard is reached. Remove from heat, add gelatine mixture and stir to combine. Cool.
· Into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle place cream cheese, remaining measured grapefruit juice, grapefruit zest, lemon juice and lemon zest, and mix until creamy and smooth.
· Add custard mixture and mix until smooth and combined. Remove bowl from electric mixer.
· Place vanilla and cream in a bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form.
· Into a separate small bowl place egg white. Whisk until soft peaks form.
· Divide grapefruit segments into two-thirds and one-third.
· Gently fold vanilla cream, egg white and two-thirds grapefruit segments into cream cheese mixture until evenly combined.
· Spoon into prepared gingernut crust. Gently wobble to encourage a smooth top. Cover, and refrigerate overnight, or until set.
· To serve decorate with remaining grapefruit segments and serve with extra whipped cream.