GOATS CHEESE TART
The recipe makes one 34cm x 10cm tart, which gives you 16 cocktail portions
This is a delectable and versatile tart. The recipe makes one 34cm x 10cm tart, which gives you 16 cocktail portions as a passaround dish, accompanied by sauvignon blanc. For a lunch or dinner meal, cut into larger portions, and accompany with an Iceberg Lettuce Salad scattered with peas and cucumber slices.
2 eggs 75g goats cheese (chopped) (we use Chèvre de Belay)
175ml cream 100ml milk
Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 x 175g ball Moise Cersons Short Crust Pastry
8 asparagus (blanched)
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In a large bowl place eggs and whisk until fluffy.
- Add cheese whisking to break it up.
- Pour in cream and milk and mix together.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste. Set aside until ready to use.
- Roll pastry into a large rectangle about 2mm-3mm in thickness.
- Grease 34cm x 10cm rectangular loose bottomed tart mould and line with pastry, leaving the overhang intact. Keep any left over pastry to one side. Rest tart mould in refrigerator 20-30 minutes.
- Line pastry with aluminium foil and half fill foil with baking rice (raw rice which you can reuse next time you are baking blind).
- Place tart base in oven and bake 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and trim pastry sides to sit flush with tart mould. If there are any holes or gaps in pastry patch up with leftover pastry.
- Return to oven and cook until pastry is crisp but not entirely cooked. Cool.
- Pour goats’ cheese mixture into tart case and cook 15-20 minutes until mixture is set and pale golden.
- Trim asparagus tips on an angle to 4.5cm lengths, discard ends and cut each tip in half lengthwise.
- Neaten tart by cutting off pastry at two short ends.
- Cut tart in half lengthwise and cut each half into 4cm pieces to make 16 even-sized serves.
- Top each serve with half an asparagus tip.
- Serve warm seasoned with salt and pepper
Note: To reheat portions to serve warm place in oven at 125°C for 5 minutes. Top with asparagus tips and serve immediately.