Gin and Tonic Cake with Sugared Fruit
(makes 1 x 25cm round cake and 1 x 17cm round cake)
|415g butter (diced and softened)
664g (3 1/3 cups) castor sugar
25mls (1 tbsp + 2 tsp) lemon juice
25mls (1 tbsp +2 tsp) gin
|finely grated rind of 2 lemons and 2 oranges
415g (3 cups) flour
17g (1 tbsp + 1 tsp) baking powder
1 x recipe Lemon icing
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Spray and flour 25cm and 17cm round cake tins.
- In food processor cream butter and sugar.
- Break eggs into jug and pour them through the feed tube with the processor running.
- Add lemon juice, gin, rind, flour and baking powder. Briefly process to combine.
- Pour mixture evenly into prepared tins and bake small cake for 40-50 minutes and large cake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave cakes to rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour gin and lemon syrup slowly over warm cake and spread with a pastry brush, ensuring an even coating.
- Leave cake to cool in tin before removing.
Gin and Tonic Syrup
180mls (1/3 cup + 2 tbsp) Gin
250g (1 1/4 cup sugar)
- Put ingredients into a small saucepan. Over a low heat, stir until sugar dissolves and then bring to the boil. Boil gently until a syrupy consistency is developed. This will take about 5 minutes.